My little brother and I were on our own not far from my Japanese aunt’s house. We decided to play at a local Shinto shrine. We were American kids so we did not know any better. Shinto shrines had these stairs that we liked to jump from. The local Japanese did not seem to mind us but maybe because were we the foreign kids, gaijin.
As I jumped from one of the stairs, we both notice a candle lit in front of the shrine went out. Again, being kids, we thought our jumping put out of the flame (though the airflow from us running may have put out the candle). We got a little scared and ran home.
We forgot about it.
Later my brother got food poisoning requiring him to go to the hospital. He was very sick but recovered. My aunt’s mother-in-law may have fed him some spoiled food according to my parents.
Then a couple week’s later at my Japanese grandmother’s city, I got into an accident. I was with my cousins playing at a water park. There was a miniature river made from cement. I was sliding my feet along it when I notice that I scraped my right small toe on it. I had split the skin open. It did not hurt but I was scared. My cousin ended up taking me back to my grandmother’s house. The next day I went to the doctor as my wound was not heeling.
I have a big scar still today on my right foot where the skin was split open. Even now, when I see the scar, I wonder it was related to my brother and I playing around in the Shinto shrine back in Japan.
Edit: Please see an update on my next blog post on what happened after I published this blog post.